Monday, April 18, 2011

Fairy Tale Fail: Some facts and figures

On this day (or yesterday, in US time) in 2010, Fairy Tale Fail was made available for purchase on the Amazon Kindle Store. Some facts and figures related to this book:

  • Is Fairy Tale Fail based on the unbelievable true story of someone you know: Yes
  • First draft was finished in: September 2009 (Sooo different from published version)
  • Why is this plot familiar/derivative: Its structure was based on about 20 of the 31 narratemes (in proper sequence) of Vladimir Propp's Morphology of the Folktale. Chapter headers explaining this were removed later though.
  • Does the office building in the novel exist: Yes it's in Salcedo Village.
  • Did you name this character after me: If I went to high school with you, yes.
  • How many people did it take to put this together: 4. Me (author), an editor, a photographer, and a cover designer.
  • Did you pay any of them: Not at the time, but now my editor and photographer are getting a percentage of anything the book earns. The cover designer (my husband) legally owns half of anything I make anyway.
  • Ebooks sold in 1 year: Over 4,000
  • Paperbacks sold so far: Over 30

    Thank you, friends and readers, for making this such an excellent year. There's a lot still to be done to promote awareness about the book locally, but I'll find time to do that eventually.
  • 6 comments:

    1. FTF is based on someone's story? Lucky, lucky girl! She has a Lucas of her own.

      And whoa, 4,000 ebooks! Congrats, Mina and Happy Anniversary to FTF. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Makes me want to finish my own series and get it into Kindle as well.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Chachic - Unfortunately that last part is still fiction pa!

      Anonymous - Yes go do that, definitely. :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Congrats!

      I found your name on a group on Goodreads and when I saw this title i had to have it. (I'm a fairy tale- aholic).

      I loved it. I felt like I was Ellie. Except Black and Barbadian. lol. I'm quite tempted to try to find a job organising travel :)

      I'd like to do an interview and giveaway on my blog (aclairedawn (dot) blogspot (dot) com), email me at muchlanguage (at) gmail (dot) com if you're interested.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi Mina!

      My name is Lacy Camey :) I am lacycameywrites.com. I am a fellow soon to be ebook author myself in just a short few 3 weeks! - my first published work being a chick-lit novella.

      Curious about this market, I began to research and came to your book, "fairy tale fail". It's soo cute and I have really enjoyed it!

      I would love to feature you on my blog! Maybe do a little interview? :) Let me know if this is something you would be interested in!

      Best wishes and have a wonderful day!

      lacycameywrites.com
      lacycamey@hotmail.com

      ReplyDelete
    6. Claire - Next time I re-read Fairy Tale Fail I will think of black, Barbadian Ellie. Love your blog, by the way. I enjoy reading about people discovering cultural quirks, things that you only really pick up if you're there.

      Lacey - Congratulations and good luck! Emailing you in a bit. :)

      ReplyDelete