Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A different view of the Manila International Book Fair

This wasn't my first time at the Manila International Book Fair as a reader/fan of books/book buyer, but it was my first time as an "author."

At the Summit Media signing booth, Sept 14, 5 to 7 pm.

The signing thing is apparently a low-maintenance gig. You're led to a table, people line up with copies of your book, you sign. And when you're done, you give way to the next person on sked. It was a fun experience that I was glad I could share with my husband and daughter. (This probably means nothing to a toddler, but she got to run around and stare at the people who chatted with me.)

I talk about being an indie publisher a lot but I actually am both -- I digitally publish some of my books, and a traditional publisher has Philippine print rights for most of them. And this is one big (maybe the biggest?) benefit of going with a traditional publisher like Summit. Your book is in so many places, all over the country, and they'll give you time to sign books in the biggest book fair of the year. I feel fortunate, and a bit out of my league, but I'll take it. :)

Talking to the Mariano sisters at the National Book Store booth. (via NBS on Facebook)

At the last minute I offered a freebie to people who showed up at my signings -- free digital copies of Welcome to Envy Park, my next chick lit book, when it comes out this year. I ended up getting more than fifty email addresses to send the book to. Not bad!

For perspective: Signing line for international authors Melissa Dela Cruz, Alyson Noel, and Margaret Stohl. One day maybe!

Thank you again (and again and again) to Summit Media, National Book Store, and everyone who showed up and said hi. Freebies soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment