Friday, July 27, 2012

Filipino Friday: School of Reading


Today's Filipino Friday topic!

School of Reading. We all started reading somewhere, and more often than not, we were influenced by someone. Who got you into reading? Your parents? A friend? A librarian? One teacher who always lends out his/her books? How helpful was your school in helping your reading habit / fueling your book addiction?

Three people who might be responsible (blamed?) for my love of reading:

My mother, who patiently read everything (including cookbooks!) to me when I was a kid. Now that I have a daughter I'm trying to do the same for her.
My neighbor Erika, who had Sweet Valley Twins #2 Teacher's Pet and Nancy Drew The Mysterious Mannequin on her shelf that day when I was eleven, and let me borrow them. This is what started my "bookworm" stage and since then started reading a new book (or three) a week.
My husband Mike, who loves books and reading way way way more than I do, such that my love looks like a casual fling. This helps me get rid of any feelings of superiority I might consider having, just because I consider myself a reader.

When I was younger, I was the kind of person who would thrust a book into someone's hands and force them to read it. I hope at least one picked up the habit because of my pushiness.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Mina! I've never read a Nancy Drew nor a Sweet Valley Twins! I did love the Hardy Boys and the Bobbsey Twins though!

    See you (finally) at the ReaderCon! And good luck on your nomination!

    ReplyDelete